Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tee hee!

Ok, ya know how us incognitoCatholics are supposed to not eat meat on Fridays in Lent (BTW, I really don't understand the Biblical basis for that), and then if St. Pat's happens to fall on a Friday the Archbishop gives Special Dispensation so we can all eat the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage? We have this Archbishop that's reeeeeeeeeeeally conservative and he's pissed a lot of people off around here. So R and I had a discussion yesterday.

I think it's completely silly that the Archbishop has to give special dispensation every 7 years for St. Pat's meat-eating. Why doesn't he just decree it that, going forward, should St. Pat's fall on a Friday, it's ok to eat the Corned Beef without fear of Purgatorial Consequences. It's even sillier that this Special Dispensation gets Headline Media coverage, but it does. So I said that since it's bascially a Clergical formality, we'll soon see on the news that Dispensation has been granted.

R said that this archibishop is enough of an ass that he will not grant it, and everyone who eats Corned Beef will be banished to a special section of Hell where everyone must wear Gauchos made of FunFur. Ok, I made that last part up. Now I agree that the Archbishop's an ass, but I was so sure that I was right on this, I made a bet with R. If I won, I got to polish R's toenails.

And last night, it made the news. I was right. I'm gonna pick out the sickest, girliest, Barbiest, pukey hot pink I can find. I'll post a photo. Muhuhahahahaha.

And also in the news, this bonehead I used to work for. Doesn't he just look like a genius financial wizard bidnissman? Yeah. Nice to see that he's being punished for blowing mine and six other people's yearly salaries in one night of drunken debauchery on the company dime.



Here's a little something my Secret Pal Ivana sent me, it seems appropriate for Rob McCormick.

http://beagleweb.com/personal/Frantics-Tae-Kwon-Leep-64k.mp3

Give the link a minute to warm up, it's worth it.

3 comments:

Ron said...

Here is the biblical "basis"...In the book of Daniel, "In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia . . . 'I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.'" (Daniel 10:1-3).

That's the closest reference [yea I don't really get it either]. Anywho there are a variety of fairly obvious reasons why meat was chosen and basically became practice even though it was never really officially decreed. The more it inconveniences you the more reason to abstain from it to show your devotion, and that is the basic reason why meat was chosen...but if we're being realistic though it should be chocolate.

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Thank you!! I really, sincerely appreciate that comment, Ron. I didn't want you to think I'm being sarcastic, cuz I'm not.

There are so many things that Catholics (and people of all religions, really) do without knowing why, I just don't get it.

I wasn't raised Catholic, so I'm not hatin' on them or anything, I just think it's funny how so many (including my husband) just do stuff because they know they're supposed to, but they don't know why and never think to question it.

Ron rocks! Thanks again for answering my question.

Jennifer said...

The idea behind not eating meat on Fridays that Ron gives is correct. The special dispensation thing about St. Pat's day is strange until you said you are in a particularly conservative diocese.