Wednesday, March 01, 2006

No Turning Back

Those Who Knit know what I'm talking about.

There comes a time, when you're working on a project and you start to get an overall sense of what the Finished Product is going to look like. And then that you suddenly realize that it's more than likely going to SUCK when it's done. Not necessarily because you've made a ton of mistakes, the whole thing could be flawless as far as stitch quality and accuracy. It still just sucks. But you can't quit. You've put too much time and effort into it. And maybe you cling to the hope that it won't be as bad as you think. I call this The Point of No Return.

I got some of that nifty Knitpicks Sparkles in Lagoon in a Swap (I think that's where I got it, I forget), and it looked funny all by itself, so I looked for some pattern ideas, and they show it with Butterfly Kisses. It's kinda eyelashy, which is dangerously close to FunFur (and I know that some people are Violently Opposed to the use of FunFur), but still, I thought it had potential to be pretty. So I found something similar at Hobby Lobby last week for 1.66 a skein, in a color close to Twilight. And I started making what I envisioned as a shawl-type thing. I cast on 3 stitches and increased 1 stitch every row. I started sometime during the Olympics, to give you an idea.

So now the thing's huge.
And blue.
And furry.

And looking an awful lot like Shredded Grover Roadkill.

Seriously, I'm embarrassed to even put a pic up on here. And yet, I can't stop knitting it. And even if I frogged it, what the hell else would I do with these yarns? I keep hoping maybe it's really NOT that bad. Up close, it's kinda pretty. The colors are pretty (sorta), but then I draped it over my shoulders and looked in the mirror.

And it's horrible.
It's really horrible.
It's worse than horrible.
It's Muppetesque.
Muppetacular.
Muppetistic.

I'm just gonna keep knitting it till I run out of yarn. Then maybe I'll post it on eBay, just to see what happens!

Yes. That is what I'll do.

Stay tuned, true believers.

8 comments:

DomesticOverlord said...

I have a new suggestion! Oh, I'm so thrilled by this idea that I could just screetch! We should organize a swap! A big, heinous FO swap! Can you imagine...?

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

You do NOT want this thing.

But I do love that idea. The FUGLYFO exchange. We'll give a prize to the Most Heinous FO, and call the Contest a FUG-OFF!!!

We're just the ones to run it, too.

Bezzie said...

Ha ha! You guys need to run with that idea.

Muppetesque.
Muppetacular.
Muppetistic.

I must incorporate these adjectives into my vernacular.

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I think I like Muppetesque the best - cuz it's kinda like uniting the words Muppet and Grotesque.

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

ooooh a Muppetesque WTF is this??swap! YES LET"S DO IT!!
everyone pull out that fun fir they have hiding int the stash ans see what they can make... you are on to something my dear.
Now, show us PICTURES, come on, you know you want to.

Stacie said...

ok, I personally love muppets. the muppet show, sesame street, et al. ya gotta post a picture! is it grover road kill, or his alter-ego, super grover?

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

It's his Nemesis - Really Pathetic Turdburglar Wuss Grover.

I like Muppets too, in fact I like them so much that I can't bear to see one gutted and worn as a capelet. I wouldn't wear a real fur either, for that matter.

I guess I'm glad it wasn't a yellow boa or something - it'd be hard to explain to my kids who killed Big Bird.

knottygnome said...

if you manage to sell it on ebay, please post the name and address of the buyer so that i can locate and download the mp3 file of Nelson from the simpsons making his "HAH-HA!" laugh and email it to them. complete with finger-pointing emoticon, of course.

i'm just kidding. i'm sure it'll turn out lovely.

...i'm just kidding about that too.