Thursday, March 09, 2006

I feel like Felting.

I am in serious need of a row counter.

I want to make The Booga Bag.

And I have the yarn to do it, so I don't have to buy any.

Maybe the planets will align, the laundry and dishes will wash themselves and the boys will take naps this afternoon.

And perhaps primates will spontaneously expell themselves from my rectum. Monkeys might fly outta my butt, for the Undercaffeinated.

But maybe MW's word of the day is a sign of good things to come. Click on Vanilla Ice in my sidebar. Today's word, kids, is KITSCH. One of my favorites.

The Word of the Day for March 9 is:

kitsch • \KITCH\ • noun
*1 : something that appeals to popular or lowbrow taste and is often of poor quality
2 : a tacky or lowbrow quality or condition

Example sentence:
On the route up the mountain, there is plenty of kitsch (from teepees to giant dinosaur replicas) to entice campers to visit the roadside shops.

Did you know?
"The fashionable clothing label . . . kicked off the revival last June . . . , putting its models in [Carmen] Miranda-inspired swimsuits and marching them through a gantlet of 50 tons of bananas," writes Mac Margolis in Newsweek International (January 2006) of a fabulously kitschy gala commemoration for the late Brazilian singer and actress Carmen Miranda. Since we borrowed "kitsch" from German in the 1920s, it has been our word for things in the realm of popular culture that dangle, like car mirror dice, precariously close to tackiness. But although things that can be described with "kitsch" and the related adjective "kitschy" are clearly not fine art, they may appeal to certain tastes—some folks delight in velvet paintings, plastic flamingos, dashboard hula dancers, and Carmen Miranda revivals!

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.



I personally enjoy the Kitsch Factor of Esquivel and Lounge Music.


And I don't know why all the stuff in my sidebar is suddenly italicized. If you know how to fix it, please enlighten me.

No comments: