Thursday, January 26, 2006

Frugality requires Creativity. And a Sense of Humor.

Boy, don't I know it. Thank God that I was born into a Creatively Frugal home, so I've never known any different. Fortunately, what we lacked in Cash Assets, we also lacked in Pride. It's hard to be proud when you've got knee patches on your jeans and socks on your hands instead of mittens.

So Roxy and Sarah put together this Knitty Secret Pal round that requires you to spend no money at all. I love it!

For those who don't know that the word Frog is a verb (ie, non-knitters), an SP (Secret Pal) thing is kinda like Secret Santas at work, where you're given the name of someone and you send them stuff. There's usually a spending minimum given, but not this time.

"The idea is to exchange patterns, ecards, snail mail cards, cute pics, fun links and things that you don't have to spend $ on. If you want to send something RAK-style out of your existing stash too, that is fine, but no one will be required to spend $ on gifts."

This is SO right up my alley.

Of course, I also signed up for SP6 before I knew about this Cheapass SP (that's what I'm calling it, and I mean it in the most loving way), so I'm really going to be involved in two SP rounds simultaneously. Both require the same Questionnaire, so I'll put my answers on here for all to read. In addition, I was thinking I'd put up a list of stuff that wouldn't cost anything but postage and would make me deleriously happy.

_____ Behold My Questionnaire _____

Knittyboard user name: penny_karma

Preferences:

1. What is your current skill level (beginner/adv. beginner/intermediate, etc): I'd call myself a beginner/advanced beginner. I can knit and purl but I suck at the finishing process.

2. How long have you been knitting? I took my first class on February 12th last year.

3. What are your favorite fiber colors? I really like everything. I have no fiber color issues.

4. Are there any fiber colors you absolutely do NOT like? If so which? See above.

5. What are your favorite fibers? I've had fun felting recently, so feltable stuff is cool. But I'd be happy with whatever.

6. What is your favorite yarn to knit with and why? I've recently discovered Noro. I love the colors, especially when felted.

7. Do you like stripes or solids more? I like a little flare rather than monochromatic.

8. Do you have any unwelcome fibers (stuff you just don't need more of or like?) Nah, knock yerself out, I'm easy.

9. What is your Dream Yarn? Sari Silk - never tried it but it looks cool

10. How do you feel about novelty fibers (both the yarns and the items made with them)? Like them. For some reason people love the Fun Fur scarves I make them. Not my cup of tea, but I like to make stuff for other people. I think the novelty stuff is kinda fun.

11.Do you prefer straight or circular needles (are there any sizes you really need)? I like circs, and I think I'm set as far as sizes.

12. Bamboo, aluminum, or plastic? Aluminum

13. Do you spin or crochet? Nope. I'd like to learn crochet, though.

14. What is the next thing you want to learn (techniques etc)? DPN's. I suck at them. I want to make mittens and socks.

15. What item(s) do you knit the most? Scarves, hats, shawls and purses.

16. What are your favorite items to knit? I like scarves because they're quick and I can give them to friends.

17. What are you knitting right now? A "Bama Boa" for my sister's new mother in law. It's that Boa yarn in Alabama Crimson. I heard you groan.

18. Any projects you haven’t gotten to yet? Hundreds in my head!
Wants and Nots:

19. Allergies:

a. Do you have any food, fiber, smoke, pet allergies your SP should be aware of? Nonsmokey, please, that's all I ask :)

b. Do you smoke, have pets, or process peanuts where you store your yarn? If so, please declare them here: Smoke free/ Pet free home here.

20. Do you have any Wishlists? Amazon.com, knitpicks.com, and Freebie!


21. Anything you’ve been longing for or would really love to get (knitting or not)?: I've been meaning to get the Amy Ray CD called Stag and something more important always seems to come along whenever I have money.

22. What about stuff you don't need at all? I can put anything to good use!

23. What about knitting accessories? I'd LOVE a bag to organize my needles, and some stitch markers and row counters, point protectors maybe?

24. Do you have hobbies other than knitting (tv, sports, collectibles, fave things)? I collect really bad Holiday CD's or just music by obscure artists I might not have heard of.

25. Books you would like (knitting or not): I liked this one called Kids Can Knit - I'd like to use it to teach my daughter.

26. Magazines you would like (knitting or not): I like ones with easy patterns so I don't feel like a knitting moron.

27. For those of you who live outside the US, is there anything you'd like that you can't get your hands on? I've had a hard time finding Cascade around here. I'd love to try some of that Fixation so I can make Nosewarmers, or the 220 everybody's always talking about.

28. In the event your SP lives outside the the US, is there a particular yarn,etc. you can't find in the US? I haven't really tried. I'm lame, I know.

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things:

29. Who/What is your favorite...
a. Chocolate: Cadbury Milk Chocolate, or Dove
b. Muppets: Ernie and Bert
c. Cartoon Character: Squidward
d. Flower: Pink Tulips
e. Ice Cream flavor: Double Fudge Brownie
f. Fragrance: Colors De Benetton
g. Shoes to wear: LL Bean Comfort Moc's
h. Type of garden: Butterfly
i. Animal: Penguin
j. Beverage: Diet Coke, occasionally with a twist of rum
k. Author: David Sedaris
l. Musician: Lyle Lovett and Indigo Girls (yes, I'm straight)
m. Holiday: Thanksgiving - tons of food and football
n. Time of Day: Sunset
o. Bath or Shower: Shower


I Want to Get To Know You Better:

30. How did you learn to knit? I took a class at Michaels.

31. What is your oldest UFO and how old is it? Wow, I have no idea.

32. What is the most exciting this that happened to you this month, year? Well, it depends on who you ask. I thought that my husband taking me yarn shopping yesterday was pretty exciting. Last year, the most exciting thing that happened to me was losing 40 pounds.

33. What is your favorite thing to do to waste time? Hang out on the Internet.

34. The things that make me the happiest…. A full tank of gas, money in the bank, and no particular place to go. I LOVE shopping at estate sales and thrift stores for vintage treasures and Kitschy Knick-Knacks.

35. If you were candy would you be sweet, sour, or cinnamon? I think I'd be Cinnamon on the outside and sweet in the middle.

36. If you were a fruit which would you be? Probably a pineapple.

37. Are you a Java Junkie? Not at all, I've never had a cup of coffee in my life.

38. Your birthday, in case it falls during the swap and your SP wants to send you a card: January 13th, ya just missed it. But my knitting anniversary's in February ; )

39. Do you have a personal mantra? Treat people how you'd want to be treated. Unless they're assholes. Then be heinous to them. They started it.

41. How do you feel about holidays? I really get into them, actually.

42. How do you really feel about socks? I wear them every day and wish I knew how to make them!

43. What is your shoe size? 8

44. How do you feel about ponchos? I like 'em.

45. What kind of music (and/or which artists) do you listen to when you are happy? My very favorite is Indigo Girls, but I love to rock out to all kinds of stuff when I'm happy. When I'm sad - The Smiths.

46. Rate yourself on a girly/fruh fruh factor from 1 - 10: Somewhere in the middle.

47. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married with 3 kids. Only pet is a goldfish that we bought at WalMart 5 years ago.

48. What are a few of your life dreams? Get out of debt and buy a house and a minivan. I'd also like to write books, but I'm such a perfectionist I edit myself crazy.

49. What languages do you speak (besides English)? I speak un peu de francais, y un pocito espanol.

50. If you could live anywhere, where would that be? I'd love to live near London. Never been there, but I think it would be cool.

51. If you could do anything for a living what would it be? I wish I could be the person who comes up with nail polish names for OPI. Or be an anchor on Sportscenter.

52. If you could have any "super power" which would it be? The power to predict the future. I knew you were going to ask me that.

53. You're given $10,000 for traveling. Where do you go and why? I'd want to take hubby to Ireland with me. What we didn't spend on the trip I'd probably have to use to pay the babysitter.

54. How frequently would you like to hear from your SP, and what kind of contact would you prefer? I don't like to be high maintenance, but just let me know you're alive. Email's fine, or cards, or really whatever. Don't go broke trying to make me happy!

And now, stuff that wouldn't cost anything that I would love -

Newspaper coupons from Michaels and Hobby Lobby
Super-Easy Recipes
Ideas for Games I can play with my Kiddos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, it's your SP calling!

You don't like coffee, ok. What about tea? Are you a tea drinker?

I hope you like weird. You're about to get it in abundance, m'dear!

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I like chai tea, and Aveda makes this Comforting Tea that's actaully quite comforting.

Bring on the weird. (Insert maniacal laugh)

roxy =^o^= said...

*mwah*


You are fantastic, PK -- woop!

Cheap asses unite!

xo

roxy