Thursday, January 22, 2009

PK's "morning to herself"

This was actually last Friday, the 16th. Oh, and I meant to thank all of you who wished me a happy birthday. It will be considered one of the better birthdays in recent memory, not because anything particularly stellar happened, but mostly because nothing particularly crappy did either.

I ask you, is this the face of a 38-year-old woman?



Wanna see what R got me? Look by my ear.


See it? It's one of those Bluetooth things so I can walk around talking to myself in public, as I usually do, without getting carted away in a straitjacket. I swore I'd never want one or need one, but I gotta say, it's a fuckload of fun walking around with it in my ear, looking like a pretentious asshole.

Now, of course all of you know that there's really no such thing as a morning to yourself when you're a mom, right? Good.

My first task of the day was to replace the foam in these cushions, from the sofa in my basement.



Yeah, I know they're fugly, but this sofa's been with us a long time, and it had been living a life of quiet desperation until we got that big ass righteous 47" TV with the Blueray player and bitchin sound system and Xbox 360. The sofa's starting to see a lot more action, now that the basement's finally a cool place to be, so I thought I'd better get the cushions done before the Super Bowl.

Actually, the first task of ANY day is selecting a CD.



Then I headed to Custom Foam.



And just as a testimonial, this is the best place to go if you don't want to replace your whole sofa. The guy who runs it is cool, and I got them done in about an hour.

During that hour, I drove past Jon Hamm's high school
(just for you, Pam!)



to the Galleria, where I saw this sign at Sephora,



but I'm Lush-loyal.



And then... KNITORIOUS! Wheeeee!!!



If you just said "Ooooh... that's Noro!" in your head, I love you.

It was but a brief visit. Had to focus. Not much time to browse leisurely, but still, to be surrounded by color and texture, like what I imagine being in the middle of a Van Gogh painting might feel like. Plus, there's that subtle, just-below-the-surface insanity that's inside many of us knitters; at least the ones I know. I say this in love, counting myself among you.

Malabrigo in the Snow Bird colorway is absolutely lovely knit up. I've been on a hat-making kick recently.

Before my morning ended, I also stopped by Target to pay off the credit card used to purchase the aforementioned big ass TV.
See, it's not all about me! Then the kids and I played Rock Band 2 all afternoon.

I'm going to have to get video of Tito singing Eye of the Tiger.
It's fuckin HILARIOUS.

7 comments:

Kashmir Knitter said...

Choosing the music affects your WHOLE day! You can't start the day with Fleet Foxes on a Rage Against the Machine morning, it screws up everything. BTW, you haven't lived until you've seen a 4 year old girl singing "Killing in the Name". I'll see if I can tape her doing it, it's pretty funny.

I think Eye of the Tiger might be the BEST thing about Rock Band 2. It's just irresistible, isn't it? There's no one who can sing that and NOT get into it about halfway through. You just can't fight it.

Bezzie said...

I love those bluetooth thingies...in downtown Newark it's hard to tell who's actually the mentally deranged talking to themselves and who's not!

Nice way to spend a morning!

Trillian42 said...

Mmmm... Jon Hamm High School. :D

And not only did I know that was Noro, I immediately thought, "Hey, that picture is on my phone!"

And I can't believe you haven't posted the slot machine picture I sent you...

Discoknits said...

OOOOh, Noro.....

I just used the most amazing lemonzest soap from Lush. I only got to use a quarter though as even the boys wanted to take showers so they could use it. Matt, my 3yo, said "I smell like a flower, when I get out the shower", then giggles to himself 'cause he rhymed :0)

Poops said...

I can spot Noro at 200 yards.

So you know.

ChestyLove said...

O.O How did you know I was thinking, "Hey, that's Noro!"??

You. Get RIGHT outta my head this instant. My brain is NOT for the faint of heart. At least arm yourself with a whip and a chair before opening that revolving door to Hell.

ChestyLove said...

BTW, how did you NOT go diving into that big pile of foam!?