Sunday, September 23, 2007

Not Enough Xanax in the World.

To get the full effect, be sure you've read all of yesterday's post before you read this one.

I have an update on the title thing, and it's not good news.

I fuckin' knew it.

It's been ten days now, so I went to the DMV website, and found that it takes not one week, but two weeks to get it - that's if you specifically ask for (and pay extra for) expedited processing. Regular processing takes four to six weeks. I assumed R had asked for the expedited, but when I asked him, he had no idea what I was talking about. They hadn't offered it to him, and since he'd been told it would only take a week, he thought nothing of it.

Now, because some fucknut gave him the wrong information, instead of a week, we'll be waiting four to six weeks, and we'll be $2800 short on closing costs, barring anything short of a miracle. I can't ask my parents for any more money since they're already paying the down payment on the house for us. I can't ask R's parents because they just aren't the sort to lend money. I don't know what we're going to do.

I'm just sick to my stomach over it.

We've spent the last ten years pulling ourselves out of $20,000 worth of credit card debt so we could finally buy a house and we found one that's perfect for us and now I'm just terrified that it's all going to fall through because last Tuesday an ambulance turned out in front of the guy in front of me and he stopped instead of merely slowing down, and I couldn't stop fast enough and I wrecked the car.

R did due diligence in researching the title situation, he thought, by calling the office directly and because they misinformed him, we're not going to be able to close on the house and I have no idea what to do. We've been waiting since July to seal this deal and if I hadn't wrecked the stupid car everything would still be on track. I'm so pissed.

It's 4am right now, I can't sleep. We're fucked beyond fucked.


turtlegirl76 said...

Oh honey. I wish I could say that I had the money to lend you. It sucks that extenuating circumstances have you feeling this way. It's not your fault. It's the fucknut that was driving the car in front of you. (Is he libel for nothing?)

Meghann said...

We had a million things go wrong with our closing, we even had to delay it for 2 weeks and we still managed to buy our house. I totally understand the anxiety you are feeling! I hope everything works out!!!

Bezzie said...

Something will pull thru. Like Meghann said--I've never heard of a closing going smoothly. With the housing market the way it is, I'm sure those people selling the house can wait X weeks.

What about the DMV--is there a way to have them pull and expedite the title if you ask? Take it up the management chain by saying R was never offered that option. Seems to me, that's something they ought to ask him. Bitch power, never underestimate it.

You realize that this will all pull thru and the first box you unpack in your new home--will have the original title in it.

sophanne said...

Time for drastic measures PK- I say, open a paypal account, let your blog friends advertise your plight, and toss money in, keep track of it and reimburse them when the check arrives. Don't asian communities do this frequently for new arrivals?

techygeekgirlknits said...

First, BREATHE! Then, tomorrow, CALMLY call the DMV in Jeff City and see if they can help you. If you get some idiot on the line, then ask to talk to a supervisor. If that doesn't work, road trip to Jeff City and make a scene in the DMV until you get some answers. OR scare them all into getting what you want. That should help ya!
But I would call my loan guy and tell him the story and they should work with you. And talk to the insurance guy too - he may be able to help. Key here is to be calm and act "helpless" and people are more inclined to help. I hope it all works out for you...Call if you need someone to vent to.

Tactless Wonder said...

I'm generally not a positive Polly or anything, but here is what I have found out in my years of dealing with paperwork: Those "time-lines" like 4-6 weeks? Completely arbitrary. They are there just so people don't call every day asking where there stuff is.

I'd still call and do all the above suggestions (the paypal account is an awesome one). But if the office told your husband a week? It might just happen. Give or take a day. Really.

There is also getting an "emergency" loan from your credit card company. They will mail you those spiffy checks if you don't have any lying around. Sure the interest rate is horrible, but if you turn around and pay it within the month? Just a thought.

Good luck.

cpurl17 said...

I hate when you discover a problem on the weekend--when you can do nothing about it except fret.

Deep breaths. Knit. Email me.

You are NOT going to lose your house over $2800.

Meghann's right--it's a nightmare. A friend of mine, for an agonizing week, had FOUR mortgages!
On the day I went to the title office for my house, we discoverd the broker had put the wrong down payment amount in the paperwork. I was sitting there alone, trying not to panic while the broker re-wrote the paperwork and drove it over.

The Fluffy Ewe said...

Oh PK! It seems for us that things are always two steps forward and one step back, too. ((hugs)) But I also agree with the other gals that if you call your loan guy and explain the situ, I am sure they can work something out for you, maybe the sellers will kick in something until you can get your check.

I have a feeling this will all resovle itself, esp if you give it a nudge. Don't forget too that no man wants to see/hear a woman cry so you can always play that card. :)

Mary Ann said...

Sarah, email me at mpeach2 at att dot net.

LilKnitter said...

PK, I know this is of no help, but if I had the money I would loan it to you in a heartbeat. We live cheque to cheque, and have no children. I can only imagine your stress.

I'm thinking of you, calling out to the cosmos to give you a break, and remaining hopeful on your account that things will work out. They often do, somehow. It's a mystery.

Nell said...

All great ideas have already been given. But at last resort, do you have a credit card you could pull the money off of? I know it's not ideal. But since it's temporary, that might work.... Good luck!

C'tina said...

can u roll it into the cost of the house? roll it into the loan? take out a personal loan? it's a buyers mkt...see if they'll work with ya...get the real estate agent to take a cut on commission....?